Tuesday 30 October 2012

Landscapes

If I can remember what and where they were taken I will mention it. Thanks :)
Stratford sub Castle. Some of the roads nearby have been names with Shakespear in mind, like Hathaway Close and Shakespear Road. Why don't they have a Bards Cross or Romeo and Juliette avenue ete... Startford village isn't as small as it used to be, villages are vanishing as they turn into suburbs of surrounding towns and cities.
Elizabeth Gardens was once an allotments then it was changed in 1953 when the queen came to the throne. Built on a water meadow it’s no wonder it floods, especially as the River Avon runs through it. I came here as a kid with my parents on Sunday’s, I still come here to take pictures. Ducks and swans gather here as do many other animals. I expect the ducks enjoyed the flooding.
A water meadow is a man-made pasture irrigation system operated at the discretion of the farmer. The aim is either to increase total grass production, or bring it forward in time during the agricultural year. Water meadows cause the grass to grow by bringing production earlier in the spring (by as much as one month) through warming the soil above 5oC. Triggers temperate grass growth producing the early bite for grazing animals.
This road goes past Sarum castle. I expect this area has seen a lot of history.
The old moat at Sarum Castle, I know someone who fell in it. Not a lot there now except stinging nettles up your bum.
As mentioned in my earlier entry (post) this is the meadow at the end of the magic Circle.
At the time of writing, the tree in the foreground has now been chopped down. We counted the rings and concluded that the tree had been there in 1895. My grandmothers funeral was held at this church in June 1981 ( a Monday I think). Not sure if the church is still being used. What stories could it tell us?

No comments:

Post a Comment